Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Enjoy Hundreds of Billions in Art, Crafts and Historic Homes for Pennies a Day

Good morning, Happy Mansion Lovers!

Are you feeling motivated this morning? I know that I certainly am!

Let's face it. Most people fall into one of three categories: They love art, crafts and historic homes and cannot get enough; they love looking at what they like; and they who can happily do without.

If you are in one of the first two categories, today's entry is for you.

I find that I could enjoy two hours of museum viewing every day as long as I don't revisit the same exhibit more than three times a year. Clearly, I'm in the first category.

If I satisfy my urge in the most natural way, it would be easy for me to spend thousands of dollars a year on museum and historic home admissions, even if I bought an annual membership to my favorite museums.

If I were a billionaire, that would be no problem. But then, if I were a billionaire, I might be so busy tending to my billion that I wouldn't have time to visit museums.

But since I'm not a billionaire, and I want to help you live like one on five dollars extra a day, I wondered how to accomplish that excellent result.

I was delighted to learn that those who are interested in providing professional services to museums or who volunteer their time in any role for museums are eligible to join the American Association of Museums. This is a great time to join because the association will be celebrating its centennial next year in Boston during the spring. The fee is adjusted downward for students and those on smaller incomes.

One of the many member benefits is to be able to visit hundreds of museums for free or at a reduced admission charge as a professional courtesy. Many museums also offer discounts on merchandise in their stores.

For more information about membership to AAM, please visit
www.aam-us.org/.

If you don't provide services for museums and don't volunteer your time, think about taking on a volunteer role. You'll meet fascinating people and qualify for special opportunities to learn more about your favorite museum.

The friends' organizations of local libraries often purchase group museum passes which can be borrowed for a day at no charge for many other museums that do not honor AAM membership cards. For more information, contact the reference desk at your local library.

If neither of those alternatives works, contact the museum you want to attend and inquire about free days and nights. Most museums offer some free admission times. You just need to know when they are and attend then.

If you arrive early, it's usually possible to find reduced rate parking even in the busiest city. In Manhattan, some parking companies offer information about which of their garages offer the lowest rates for a given time of the day. If I'm feeling frugal, I can usually find a free spot on the street on the Upper East Side. Then I can walk or take a bus or subway from there to wherever I want to go.

Donald W. Mitchell, Your Dream Concierge

Copyright 2005 Donald W. Mitchell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home